Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/donemywa/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/donemywa/public_html/forum/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/donemywa/public_html/forum/includes/prime_links.php on line 121

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/donemywa/public_html/forum/includes/prime_links.php on line 122

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/donemywa/public_html/forum/includes/prime_links.php on line 121

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/donemywa/public_html/forum/includes/prime_links.php on line 122

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3884: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3886: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3887: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3888: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
View topic - 1st Layout - donemyway.com

1st Layout

Showcase and discuss it

1st Layout

Postby MzCie » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:06 pm

So Im finally hosted, Thanks so much KassLyts, and I have a layout that I made a while ago in my free time. Its going to be the one that I use for my first layout on my site. Its very simple, I just wanted to get some input on it, to see what you guys think and what can be done in order to help myself become a better designer. Im using this first regardless but let me know what you guys think

http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... 1261686986
MzCie
Regular

Re: 1st Layout

Postby deideii » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:55 am

It's kinda nice...
deideii
Veteran

Postby Lisa » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:09 am

Aside the fact that the lady looks somewhat "too" naked, I don't like the font you've used. The colour doesn't fit the rest of the colour scheme, and I don't like how you've used three exclamation marks. One is more than enough.

The circles on the left side look very blurry compared to the rest, while the big blue swirl is very rough around the edges. What are you using for the background? Also, where will the content begin? I imagine it being quite hard to find a background that blends in with the header and that tiles well.

The lady looks very photoshopped, and almost simply slapped on a background. Perhaps adding some sort of shadow or glow will make it look less choppy. At the moment, she doesn't look too comfy without her legs. The transition from her upper body to the background looks very unnatural and sudden.

You can improve very much by just editing a few things, like I mentioned.
Lisa
Regular

Postby MzCie » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:19 pm

Thanks deideii

Thanks to you too Lisa, actually thats all of the body that was in the psd lol I thought she looked too fake too but I liked the picture, i actually didnt notice how the blue swirl was jagged until you pointed that out thanks. Im using the background green for my background although this will cover the entire page. Im going to take just about everything you said int o consideratin and Im going through it now. I'll post it later
MzCie
Regular

Postby MzCie » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:38 pm

http://s1018.photobucket.com/albums/af310/Gumu_Uzuri/?action=view&current=try2.jpg&newest=1

I dont really like the way that the shadows came out on her but it looks less busy to me now lol
MzCie
Regular

Postby Connor » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:43 pm

All the colours don't work out. I suggest that you start again with another PNG. And with some new colours. There is loads of tut's out there and if you want any help just pm me.
Connor
Lurker

Postby MzCie » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:05 pm

@ connor i had no other colors to chose from seeing that she had NO clothes on i had to eyedrop colors from her eyeshadow
MzCie
Regular

Postby deideii » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:50 pm

Hmmm... The colors work out nice..
deideii
Veteran

Postby Eka » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:10 pm

The first thing that stands out to me is the font. Both the font itself and the color are doing nothing for the piece. I'd recommend a sans-serif font- The cursive font is too overwhelming.
Here are some recommendations:
http://www.dafont.com/harabara.font
http://www.dafont.com/lane.font
http://www.dafont.com/print-bv.font

To be honest, the only problem I have with your color palette is that it looks underdeveloped. you have green, lime green, yellow, and a touch of blue, which they go nicely, don't function well as a 'palette'. The colors you're using all have similar brightness and saturation so try implementing different shades of those colors so that they'll harmonize better.

You have this-
Try something more like this-

The only color I would suggest scrapping entirely would be the background color. The lime green and yellows are very warm, and the blue adds a nice contrast, but the dull background green is just sort of there. It doesn't contribute to the "bold" motif you're going for. A light grey or chocolate brown would fit in a lot better with the colors you have. Bear in mind that when you choose the colors for a piece, you aren't necessarily confined to what your stock photo gives you. Don't be afraid to add colors yourself if they complement it. ;)

And as Lisa said, the PNG looks like it was just sort of slapped on. The drop shadow was a step in the right direction, but it still isn't working with the rest of the piece. Adding a layer with a texture could make things look more unified. this site and this one have a bunch of great textures to choose from. Try something pretty smooth- nothing too grungy or scratchy. You could also try fiddling with the channel mixer (or selective coloring, if you use photoshop) to give your colors that extra punch as well as making it look more unified.
Eka
Regular

Postby MzCie » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:43 pm

Thank you SO much Eka for the advice and resources where did you find the color pallettes?
MzCie
Regular

Next

Return to Web Design